[TOS] That was fun while it lasted Required] TOS Wiki Antispam update)

tosmaillist.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net tosmaillist.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net
Tue May 31 22:51:02 UTC 2011

Surely you didn't expect it would be easy.

There is a lot of effort expended to generate SPAM because it is
economically rewarded.  I think it would be fair to guess that whoever
is generating this batch has bots that are capable of verifying their
email addresses or some underpaid folks in some low labor cost country
are actually paid to establish the user and verify the address.  From
there, a bot can easily take over.

>From reading the pages referenced in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Spam-blacklist (such as
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Spam_blacklist ), we have the
ability to add domain names to a local blacklist, "Spam that only
affects a single project should go to that project's local blacklist."
and suggest additions to MediaWiki's list.  It would seem to me that
is the next step.  It WILL take a while for the local list to become
large enough to slow the additions.