[TOS] SIGSCE workshop

Mel Chua mel at purdue.edu
Mon Oct 17 06:08:16 UTC 2011

Oh - by the way, our reviewers were pretty dang positive; the average
score given was 5.2 (out of... 6, I think -- there were 2 ratings of 4,
but the other 3 were 6's).

Hoo boy. Time to work! (Soooooo many projects in the pipeline. Must
upgrade self-project-management skillz. How do you folks survive?)

Excerpts:

"I would encourage my own undergraduate AND graduate students to attend."

"I suspect that the examples section will be most useful for
participants to understand how to do this in their courses."

"I would suggest that significantly more time should be spend on the
Tools and Techniques section. This should be the crux of the workshop
and where I would expect the interest of participants would lie, and
where significant value can be added. The other sections can be done in
much less time, or the authors could point participants to additional
material."

"I like the diversity of background of the presenters."

"I am not sure if the workshop will only serve to announce POSSE, or if
it actively can provide educators with enough information to actively
run classes participating in Open Source projects."

"I really like the plan on having interactive sessions and tutorials
within the workshop... it would be really great to see examples where
this approach has been used, be it showing a revision tree of a project
students have worked on, or some other approach such that faculty can
actually see this approach making a difference."