[TOS] SIGCSE pre-conference symposium on TOS

Mel Chua mel at purdue.edu
Fri Oct 28 15:05:34 UTC 2011

So, the HFOSS folks aren't doing a pre-conference symposium -- do we
want to?

I think this might be an interesting opportunity to do something I've
always wanted to try, which is an unconference at an academic gathering.
The cost is minimal and the TOS budget can absorb it (including getting
some sort of lunch brought in), so it's mostly a matter of "is there
interest in this?"

Basically, this is what folks requested at the last POSSE -- more of a
chance to have semi-structured interactions and conversations with
people who are also teaching open source. Talk with other people with
gigantic software engineering classes! Share ideas for your first-year
seminars! Discuss different approaches to grading! There just never
seems to be enough time and catalyst-fu to get it all together in
person, and this might do the trick.

We'd have a bit more structure/formality/prep than your average
unconference -- I'd plan on printing out "how unconferences work"
instruction sheets, for instance, so attendees have something to hold
and look at -- and ask a few people to arrive in Raleigh with ideas of
what they want to discuss, so we'll be sure to have a few topics pitched
(grading, capstones, etc). I can facilitate, but am equally happy to let
someone else with more unconference-fu step up. :)

Strawman: 4 "tracks" (the 4 corners of the room) and perhaps 6
timeslots, with lunch break in the middle. That's 24 discussions,
presentations, and general Chunks Of Cool Stuff.

Who'd be in? Folks who've put SIGCSE pre-conference symposia together...
any best-practice recommendations? (For instance, charging a minimal fee
to cover lunch would go much lighter on our budget and let us help more
people actually fly in.)

--Mel