[TOS] blog post on getting students involved in open source

Matthew Jadud mjadud at allegheny.edu
Fri Sep 9 21:34:31 UTC 2011

Hi Bonnie,

I hadn't checked my reader yet today.

Mark is right: it isn't an apprenticeship model. That said, neither
the community nor educators working on getting their students engaged
believe that is what will happen in fourteen weeks. So, it's a kind of
vacuous concern: the people doing it aren't trying to create
instant-apprenticeship relationships; instead, we are aspiring to
legitimate peripheral participation.

I'll draft a response article for os.com/edu, and perhaps GregDK would
like to have a pass at what I draft.

Cheers,
Matt