[TOS] Mark Guzdial's blog on computer science education

Grant Hearn ghh at mweb.co.za
Fri Sep 9 23:50:02 UTC 2011

Hi all -

I agree that involving undergrad students tends to provide some large codebase experience with little access to the established developer community. However, no undergrad module is going to succeed in being all things to all people. For me, getting my students involved in the codebase and making a contribution - no matter how small - is more important in the beginning than experiencing the wider community. My students need to do some things for themselves; if they're really interested they'll find their way to the community like everyone else does. Making first contact with the code base and making a contribution is one starting point, but there are of course others. It feels like a horses for courses kind of thing to me ...

Grant