[TOS] blog post on getting students involved in open source

Mel Chua mel at purdue.edu
Sat Sep 10 03:12:35 UTC 2011

On 09/09/2011 03:40 PM, Bonnie MacKellar wrote:
> Mark Guzdial’s blog on computer science education has a somewhat
> negative post today on the usefulness of involving undergrads in open
> source development.

Guzdial has posted similar sentiments about open source development
before; see
http://cacm.acm.org/blogs/blog-cacm/72144-the-impact-of-open-source-on-computing-education/fulltext
for Guzdial's older blog post,
http://opensource.com/education/10/2/open-source-dangerous-computing-education
for Greg's response, and http://lwn.net/Articles/374675/ for more
reactions from the FOSS community.

My take: no, the world's not perfect, and neither is open source, but
hey, neither is any school or company or job, and you need to "bust
through" to get quality mentoring time no matter what you're doing
where. Students had better be prepared for an imperfect world.
Brokenness and politics and "inner circles" exist in any human
institution; at least in the FOSS world you can *see* that dirty laundry
better, pull it out and talk about it -- at the very least, overhear the
conversations between "senior people" while you're figuring out how to
participate in those same conversations.

Haters gonna hate. If FOSS works for you, use it. If it doesn't, don't.
It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness -- and my
favorite thing about this group is that we *do* light candles. No
criticism can diminish that or take it away.

--Mel