[TOS] Comments, comments, comments

tosmail20110729.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net tosmail20110729.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net
Thu Sep 15 00:53:38 UTC 2011

I've seen several edits of
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Planet_Feed_List in the past
few days.

Is it fair to guess that these are from the students of Western New
England’s CS 490 (Software Engineering) course?

It's hard to know, because whomever made the edits didn't fill in the
Summary field at the bottom of the wiki editor.

I only bring this up because using a common facility in a production
shop, means you not only make improvements to the product, but
communicate what the improvement is and why it was made.  In this
case, something like "Student of Western New England’s CS 490
(Software Engineering) joining TOS planet feed." would have indicated
for current members of the project and for posterity that we actually
helped some folks gain experience using a planet and blogs.

You'll be surprised how often you need such comments when you revisit
some of your own work later on.

It's tough to master the wording of the contents of Summary type
fields on corporate facilities, but they pay back in the end.

I'm looking forward to your postings.