[TOS] Quick update on "make scholarly copyright suck less" project

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Fri Sep 30 15:21:12 UTC 2011

Having to assign copyright to someone else recently felt like a sort
awkward uncomfortable rite of passage in the academic world.

What's a list of the better 'open' journals?

Yeah...
It's part of the larger society we live in that basically lives
unquestioningly with these expectations.

The copyright agreements often seem very overwhelming. (I'm thinking of
ACM.) It seems as if everything associated with the data you use belongs
to them. This is not necessarily so. For example, first level
descriptive data - you described that __% ___ and ___ % ____.  That
stuff gets used again and again from multiple data sets.

To quote someone more knowledgeable than I:

"You're not giving ACM the copyright to the dataset -- just the paper
itself. Research hypotheses are, in general, second order – that is,
they're not simple descriptions of the data (i.e., sample size, gender
distribution). On a public dataset, descriptions (first-order analyses)
are assumed to be public, as well."

So, don't go spreading your hypotheses and keen insight to very specific
elements around and you should be fine.

It seems to me then (with my limited knowledge and limited copyright
finesse), that making the dataset public before submission may be a way
to guarantee(?) that you and others may continue to evaluate the data.
There may be some contexts where this is impractical / inadmissible.
However, this is certainly not new. -- I've heard of professors with
boxes of 'data' -offering "want to write a paper? here's some data." The
first order stuff is all the same, but the second order findings would
all be different (or found independently at least).