[TOS] Start of the school year -- what are people doing for fall semester?

tosmail20110729.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net tosmail20110729.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net
Tue Aug 21 13:50:29 UTC 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Mel Chua - mel at purdue.edu wrote:

> I'm still frustrated by the phrase "the open source way" not being backed up
> by anything other than anecdotes. What the heck does that mean? I want to
> make sure that, when we talk about "teaching open source," we're not just
> waving our hands around excitedly about shiny stuff -- so I'm sidestepping
> to look at how other groups in other areas have built deep, rich, enduring
> understandings and transformations, because the approach of getting
> frustrated and burnt-out banging my head against *just* the TOS wall seems
> counterproductive. Mmm, learning.

There was a time when Science and Engineering were nebulous concepts.
Then folks like Michael Faraday came along and started insisting that
theories had to be backed up by experiment, not just the consensus of
the practitioners.

Perhaps you can find someone who has an interest in the History of
Science and Engineering who can help you understand how we came to use
the phrase "to Engineer" as superior to "to make".  Surely that would
bear on the issue you have.