[TOS] Question re. projects and courses related to social computational systems

Mel Chua mel at purdue.edu
Thu Aug 23 01:13:04 UTC 2012

> In the fall I will be teaching an undergraduate course on social
> computational systems (human computation a la Luis von Ahn's work on
> Duolingo and reCaptcha, Amazon's Mechanical Turk, etc. as well as
> crowdsourcing ...)

> Does anyone know of existing FOSS projects related to this topic area
> that my students could get involved in?

This might be too late already, but I didn't want Monisha's note to pass
without an answer.

There don't seem to be any big FOSS projects on social computational
systems (though I could be missing something). There *are* wrappers and
interfaces to popular ones, like boto,
http://docs.pythonboto.org/en/latest/index.html, a python interface to
mechanical turk.

My gut feel tells me that an open *content* project might make a better
host for this sort of class -- or an open source software project that
has a task that could be crowdsourced (bug triage, for instance). You
could have students solve a problem for an open {source, content,
hardware, culture, etc} community by implementing a social computational
system, using things like boto to hook the pieces together.

Alternatively, there are also FOSS projects that could be supercool if a
social computational system was implemented in it. For instance, look at
http://lwt.sourceforge.net, a multi-user webapp for learning how to read
in a foreign language. Perhaps it might benefit from having a
Duolingo-inspired feature added to it?

That's what first comes to my mind, anyhow. Curious as to what you ended
up doing!

--Mel