[TOS] Start of the school year -- what are people doing for fall semester?

Sebastian Benthall sbenthall at gmail.com
Sun Aug 26 22:04:41 UTC 2012

This is a nice thread, Mel.

What I think I'm up to in my own second year:

 * I'm tentatively "focusing" my work on "collective intelligence on the
internet" because it seems easy enough to shoe-horn other interests into.
Thinking of framing open source community practices as an example of that,
and a way of facilitating more of that.  Also, I'm very interested in
policy implications; how to contribute to greater 'collective intelligence'
in society at large (e.g., in politics).

 * Statistical machine learning course because its bound to come in handy.

 * A course on Qualitative Research Methods because I've realized that I
don't know anything about them and ought to have some sense of them in my
toolkit.  For the main class assignment I'm planning on interviewing people
involved in the building and spreading of GeoNode, a FOSS project I used to
have a hand in.  Will probably focus more on the implications for IT policy
and international development, and how FOSS intersects with them.

 * A course on "Technology and Delegation", dealing with questions of
social determinism of technology versus technological determination of
society.  Taught by a lawyer, so this is about ethical and policy
implications of designing and building technology.  Hoping to get
background theory for analysis of FOSS as a subset of this, and perhaps
remedy to abuses of technological power.

 * A course on constructivist epistemology, in the education department.
Because I love epistemology and need working definitions of "intelligence"
and "learning" if I'm going to talk about "collective intelligence" or
"collective learning".  I'm rusty on this stuff since my cog sci days.

 * Working on an information extraction toolkit:
http://github.com/sbenthall/bluestocking  Could be useful for a lot of
things, including analyzing content for, say, FOSS community mailing
lists.  I see it as a way to automate qualitative research when there is a
large existing corpus of behavior/documents.

 * Trying to keep a handle on the Free the Code campaign and other
developments around government's digital strategy and open source software.