[TOS] FLOSS Body of Knowledge -- an initiative of opensource.org

tosmail20110729.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net tosmail20110729.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net
Wed Feb 1 16:39:55 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:41 AM,  ivaylo.ganchev at univ-paris8.fr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> here is an article I came upon few days ago, that I think will interest
> some of you. It is about the creation of a FLOSSBOOK (similar to IEEE's
> SWEBOOK) that will try to create and offer a FLOSS curriculum to be user
> by whoever needs it.

Uh, according to < http://www.opensource.org/node/600 >, those should
be FLOSSBOK and SWEBOK because the are Bodys Of Knowledge (BOK), not
mere BOOKs.

> Interesting initiative, we need to know however is it focused on high
> school, university or both

If you look at the IEEE SWEBOK site <
http://www.computer.org/portal/web/swebok >, it points to The
Certified Software Development Associate (CSDA) certification <
http://www.computer.org/portal/web/certification/csda >, which
suggests candidates for examination should be, "Under-graduates in
their final year of a bachelor's degree program in software or
computer engineering".

The IEEE is a well respected, vendor independent, national interest
independent, professional society.  Personally, I don't understand why
the FLOSS community would need a separate effort to promote the use of
FLOSS in SWE.  Instead, the FLOSS community should be participating in
the review of SWEBOK V3, <
http://computer.centraldesktop.com/swebokv3review/ >.  When the IEEE
issues a Call for Reviewers, it is not limited to corporations with a
proprietary interest in the subject nor their employees, but a true
request for people who have any experience in the subject of the
publication to help make it a standard resource.