[TOS] FLOSS Body of Knowledge -- an initiative of opensource.org

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Wed Feb 1 17:04:20 UTC 2012

> Uh, according to < http://www.opensource.org/node/600 >, those should
> be FLOSSBOK and SWEBOK because the are Bodys Of Knowledge (BOK), not
> mere BOOKs.

Indeed, it is a BOK
http://www.opensource.org/node/600

> The IEEE is a well respected, vendor independent, national interest
> independent, professional society.  Personally, I don't understand why
> the FLOSS community would need a separate effort to promote the use of
> FLOSS in SWE.

Perhaps, because:
(1)  much of the SWE community is not interested in/ dismissive of the
societal impacts of software licensing

(2) IEEE is known for very restrictive copyright practices

(3) uncritical use of software (so what if it's proprietary?) serves to
marginalize. This is tied up with existing power structures perpetuating
themselves. (See also Chopra & Dexter, 2007, 2008, 2011 & Kim, 2006)

(4) sometimes it is necessary to step outside of established
disciplinary and paradigmatic boundaries (Kuhn, 1962; Moran, 2010)

-------
Chopra, S., & Dexter, S. (2007). Free software and the political
philosophy of the cyborg world. SIGCAS Computers and Society, 37(2), 41-52.

Chopra, S. & Dexter, S. (2008). Decoding liberation: The promise of free
and open source software. New York: Routledge.

Chopra, S., & Dexter, S. (2011). Free software and the economics of
information justice. Ethics and Information Technology, 13(3), 173-184.

Kim, S. (2006). Capitorgs and free/libre and open source software:
Toward critical technological literacy and free/libre and open source
society. Educational Insights, 10(2).

Kuhn, T. S. (1962). The structure of scientific revolutions. Chicago:
University of Chicago Press.

Moran, J. (2010). Interdisciplinarity. New York: Routledge.

> Instead, the FLOSS community should be participating in
>> the review of SWEBOK V3,

Certainly. One does not necessarily negate the other.