[TOS] TOS site redesign, heads-up

Mel Chua mel at purdue.edu
Tue Feb 21 04:37:17 UTC 2012

Mostly for Ian, but... trying to light a fire under my butt here too.

I'm working on a (static) frontpage redesign for TOS using pktb that
might give us something a bit more attractive to display before SIGCSE;
I don't promise it'll be done before the weekend, but if I put something
online (under some random URL) and the TOS community approves, how hard
would it be to get the TOS URL to redirect to it (and then take care of
the actual "do it right" file-moving later)?

My current tinkering-draft is up at
http://mchua.fedorapeople.org/tosredesign -- note that this matches the
theme at http://planet.teachingopensource.org. As you can tell from the
images, it's not anywhere near done.

Compare to our current front page,
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Main_Page -- I'm trying to go
for something cleaner that doesn't have such a huge header, so content
begins sooner than halfway down the screen.

The intent is to *only* replace the front page -- what you'd hit on
http://teachingopensource.org, essentially. The rest of it would point
directly to the Planet, wiki pages, etc. we already have.

If y'all think this is WAY too short notice to put something up, let me
know. It's just something we've been talking about for... nearly a year
now, and nobody's done it, and I was sitting in the lab late at night
and decided to take a stab. :)

--
Mel Chua
mel at purdue.edu
PhD student, Open Source & Education focus
Purdue University, Dept. of Engineering Education