[TOS] TOS site redesign, heads-up

Ian Weller ian at ianweller.org
Tue Feb 21 15:43:09 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 11:37:17PM -0500, Mel Chua wrote:
> Mostly for Ian, but... trying to light a fire under my butt here too.
>
> I'm working on a (static) frontpage redesign for TOS using pktb that
> might give us something a bit more attractive to display before
> SIGCSE; I don't promise it'll be done before the weekend, but if I
> put something online (under some random URL) and the TOS community
> approves, how hard would it be to get the TOS URL to redirect to it
> (and then take care of the actual "do it right" file-moving later)?
>
> My current tinkering-draft is up at
> http://mchua.fedorapeople.org/tosredesign -- note that this matches
> the theme at http://planet.teachingopensource.org. As you can tell
> from the images, it's not anywhere near done.
>
> Compare to our current front page,
> http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Main_Page -- I'm trying to
> go for something cleaner that doesn't have such a huge header, so
> content begins sooner than halfway down the screen.
>
> The intent is to *only* replace the front page -- what you'd hit on
> http://teachingopensource.org, essentially. The rest of it would
> point directly to the Planet, wiki pages, etc. we already have.
>
> If y'all think this is WAY too short notice to put something up, let
> me know. It's just something we've been talking about for... nearly
> a year now, and nobody's done it, and I was sitting in the lab late
> at night and decided to take a stab. :)

I think we can do a more permanent install of it within this week if you
get it done, since I have shell access to the wiki server. Fortunately
this is easy because I can name it "index.html" and not have it conflict
massively with MediaWiki. :)

So, basically, I can get it done without having to wait on other things
as soon as the design is finalized/approved.

--
Ian Weller <ian at ianweller.org>