[TOS] TOS site redesign, heads-up

Mel Chua mel at purdue.edu
Wed Feb 22 03:25:53 UTC 2012

> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 13:19, Karsten 'quaid' Wade<kwade at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> Anyone have good pictures for the placeholders Mel has?

I am probably going to use
http://www.flickr.com/photos/opensourceway/6082519627/in/photostream/lightbox/
for one of them, and thinking of yanking stuff from
http://blog.sdziallas.com/we-had-a-posse-thanks-everybody for more,
assuming proper licensing (Sebastian, is there a license on those photos
of yours? I can't find one.)

>> Regarding the yellow highlighting in the theme (ptkb aka promotional
>> teflon kittenbasket), I agree it's a bit confusing. You can see an
>> example of this theme in full use here:
>
> It makes more sense in headers than body text. (At least, based on
> that use case.)

So, I'm going to worry first about getting the content tweaked because
right now it is really awful made-up filler. I'd love help with a few
things:

* Pictures and images. Specifically, we need:
** A header graphic that doesn't say "promotional teflon kittenbasket"
** Photos of TOS people doing TOS things (I think I have these, though)

* Suggestions for better filler text than what is currently on
http://mchua.fedorapeople.org/tosredesign/ -- I'm running out of
TOS-time for tonight, but the next time I have to work on this, I will
get source up on github so it's easier to fork/tweak.

* Tweaks to the css files to incorporate improvements/suggestions (for
instance, if you think there shouldn't be yellow for <strong> tags
outside the header, poke that rule in).
https://github.com/ianweller/promotional-teflon-kittenbasket -- thanks
to Karsten for posting his fork as an example,
https://github.com/quaid/tosw-theme.

* This is undoubtedly a stupidly simple question, but I don't know, off
the top of my head, how to automatically pull in data from the 3 latest
planet posts and the 3 next events
(http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/Main_Page does, but it's
mediawiki transclude magic). I assume it's "put PHP in here somewhere"
and imagine that if I google "how to parse feeds" I'll be able to figure
out the Planet stuff, but being pointed to the right doc/tutorial will
save a lot of time. And the events part stumps me -- maybe we need to
actually stick them into something (gcal?) that actually generates a
calendar feed, then yank that?