[TOS] POSSE's Future, Step-By-Step

Stephen Jacobs itprofjacobs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 05:26:03 UTC 2012

Hey folks,
Have been talking with Harish and Mel off and on over the past week or so.  While there are still many details to work out, here's what we've been able to put together, in the spirit of the proposal I put out to the list a few weeks ago...

1.  At SIGCSE TOS will be able to announce that there will be a POSSE at RIT this summer (I hope to lock down dates by the end of the day Friday  or Monday ) and that this summer there will be a CFP opening for sites that want to have a POSSE between the dates of 9/12 and 8/13.  There will be an email address that you can give people to sign up for notification emails when the CFP opens, we're figuring out what that is now but in the meantime you can email me.

2. Just between us, for now, there may be funds to run other POSSEs this summer, but Harish is still tracking down exactly what we have left in the budget for this cycle.  We'll know soon.

3.  Over the next few months these things will be possible assuming RH comes through with admin support…

a.  RIT will work with TOS to coordinate and build a better infrastructure for registrations etc, revise and/or consolidate the existing wiki pages, polish the sets of POSSE materials we already have.

b.  For RH to continue with POSSE long term, they're going to want a business plan-ish like document that describes long-term goals, metrics, etc.  The current thoughts for this is that TOS folks can send their ideas to this list, and Mel will be out here at RIT at the end of March.  She and I will come up with something between an annotated table of contents and a first draft of such a report. We'll then post it back to TOS and get it written by the group, either piece meal or as a sprint.

c. RIT will work with TOS to coordinate the CFP and faculty selection pieces for POSSE.

I hope this allow you all to meet the goals you've set for SIGCSE.  Sorry I can't join you, but I'm going to three other confs, including Pycon, between 3/5-3/12.  Sigh.

SJ