[TOS] K12 schools with FOSS (only) programs

Mel Chua mel at purdue.edu
Fri Jan 27 02:58:08 UTC 2012

> I'm looking for a research friendly K-12 school in which students
> (preferably low-SES and/or English learners) primarily use FOSS
> (preferably in conjunction with a FOSS OS).

Try Caroline Meeks (elementary schools with low-SES and ESL folks, Sugar
Labs) Gerald Ardito (middle school, Sugar Labs) or Jeff Elkner (high
school, Ubuntu) as starting points: http://www.elkner.net/ and
http://www.solutiongrove.com/marketing/Bio/ and
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Gardito. They're both geographically
far from you (Boston/NYC/DC), but might know folks in the neighborhood
with similar sentiments.

It looks like the SIGCSE conference has a K12 liason (sigcse12-k12 at
cs.holycross.edu) named John Harrison from Princess Ann High School at
Virginia Beach, VA -- not necessarily FOSS-specific, but might be able
to point towards likely groups of teachers who'll be at the conference
with connections to what you're looking for. There's also the usual
"blanket email to K-12 CS mailing list" idea, but I'm guessing you're
hoping for a more focused route. :)

--Mel