[TOS] Student survey on FOSS

Cody Van De Mark (RIT Student) cav5343 at rit.edu
Mon Jun 25 21:23:18 UTC 2012

Hello, I read the survey and I am happy to help, but I am mildly confused.
I wrote comments in 'Other' for many of the answers.

I am glad to do evaluation of FOSS tools, but the Free implied by the
survey appears to be free in cost, not free in freedom. Many of the
questions are about free in cost proprietary software, not Free/Open source
software (FOSS). I feel as if that slants the survey considerably as some
questions are ambiguous, such as "In general how easy is it to install free
open source software tools?". It says free open source software (FOSS), but
many of the previous questions are about freeware proprietary software
which is not FOSS, so does the question mean free open source software
(FOSS) or freeware proprietary software?

I do not mean to critique, as I would like to help, but I found 7 or 8 of
the questions to be invalid. I would like to be providing accurate
statistics from my experiences. I want to make sure I am answering the
questions about FOSS or Freeware specifically. My experiences with each are
radically different. I don't seem a reasonable way to combine them into one
statistical group without drawing inaccurate/slanted statistics/conclusions.

Thank you,
Cody Van De Mark
cav5343 at rit.edu