[TOS] Guidelines on launching an open source project?

adam hyde adam at xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 26 06:51:40 UTC 2012

ok..just to throw some off the wall stuff into the conversation. i think
license and technical infrastructure are not the answer to your
question. im pondering this a lot recently and hoping to write an
article titled something like "free licenses do not make free software".
Trite perhaps but I'm trying to articulate that licenses have very
little to do with what comes after. An organisation can employ a free
license but act like a proprietary vendor - that will not invite
participation involvement, or in some cases, even use of the code.

The value and consequently the interesting and challenging opportunities
that 'openness' presents lie elsewhere. They reside in the need to
determine what "openness" means to your organisation. What exactly do
you mean, for example, when you say "maintain control in the statement
"maintaining control of the "official" version."

The license and technical infrastructure are the easier issues to
address. What you want after that is something you should spend some
time thinking about and asking if you really know how to achieve it, and
if not what are you going to do about it...

probably thats not useful...

adam