[TOS] Guidelines on launching an open source project?

Kevin Mark kevin.mark at verizon.net
Tue Jun 26 07:56:21 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 08:51:40AM +0200, adam hyde wrote:
> ok..just to throw some off the wall stuff into the conversation. i
> think license and technical infrastructure are not the answer to
> your question. im pondering this a lot recently and hoping to write
> an article titled something like "free licenses do not make free
> software". Trite perhaps but I'm trying to articulate that licenses
> have very little to do with what comes after. An organisation can
> employ a free license but act like a proprietary vendor - that will
> not invite participation involvement, or in some cases, even use of
> the code.
>
> The value and consequently the interesting and challenging
> opportunities that 'openness' presents lie elsewhere. They reside in
> the need to determine what "openness" means to your organisation.
> What exactly do you mean, for example, when you say "maintain
> control in the statement "maintaining control of the "official"
> version."
>
> The license and technical infrastructure are the easier issues to
> address. What you want after that is something you should spend some
> time thinking about and asking if you really know how to achieve it,
> and if not what are you going to do about it...
>

> probably thats not useful...
>
> adam

I think you make a good point. There are examples like
Staroffice/OpenOffice/Libreoffice, Firefox, Scratch, DrGeo, busybox as some
projects with different kinds of control.

Another distinctions is the type of freeness:
BSD-types vs GPL-types are 2 general catagories that are popular. The BSD-types
want folks to be able to open or close the code at will and not have the same
type of 'community support' as the GPL-type. The GPL-type want to always have a
community able to access the code and dont want it closed.

Firefox is one example where they wanted to only allow the name 'firefox' to be
used on 'official version' and this made Debian use its own name eg. Iceweasel
to follow policy.

There are also some projects like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qmail#Frequency_of_updates
Some software distribued as source from upstream and any downstream had to
apply many patches to make it work for them. Thus upsteam didnt allow collaboration.