[TOS] Guidelines on launching an open source project?

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Tue Jun 26 08:12:34 UTC 2012

Hi T. F.,

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 23:55:54 -0400
pawlicki at cs.rochester.edu wrote:

>    I been asked to help take a fairly extensive body of code and
> release it as an open source project.
>
> I'm wondering if someone can point me to some resources that
> might guide us along this process?

See:

1.
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/How_to_start_contributing_to_or_using_Open_Source_Software

2. http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/foss-other-beasts/

3. http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html

4. http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/

If you're interested in hosting a Mercurial repository (note that cloning it
there will also make all the history available, due to Mercurial's distributed
nature) look at one of those:

1. https://bitbucket.org/ .

2. http://code.google.com/ .

3. http://sourceforge.net/ .

4. There are more here which may be suitable:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities .

You'll also need to pick up an open-source licence for the code.

>  My collaborators have a body of code used for physics simulation.
> It's all under Mercurial for internal management. They want to
> distribute it under an open source model, while maintaining control
> of the "official" version.

Well, what do you mean by "maintaining control"? If you just want to make sure
nobody else will be able to release releases under the official name, then this
is normally a given, and is enforce by licences such as
http://www.perlfoundation.org/artistic_license_2_0 . Do you mean anything else?

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish