[TOS] Seb Benthall on FOSS vs academic culture

Mel Chua mel at purdue.edu
Wed Mar 7 06:32:52 UTC 2012

Seb (a grad student from UC Berkeley who I think is on this mailing
list) gave the best summary of the open source mentality in one
paragraph that I've seen yet, on
http://digifesto.com/2012/02/28/another-rant-about-academia-and-open-source:

"I’m going to try to build a totally great new thing. It’s going to be a
lot of work, but it will be worth it because it’s going to be so useful
and cool. Gosh, it would be helpful if other people worked on it with
me, because this is a lonely pursuit and having others work with me will
help me know I’m not chasing after a windmill.

If somebody wants to work on it with me, I’m going to try hard to give
them what they need to work on it. But hell, even if somebody tells me
they used it and found six problems in it, that’s motivating; that gives
me something to strive for. It means I have (or had) a user. Users are
awesome; they make my heart swell with pride. Also, bonus, having lots
of users means people want to pay me for services or hire me or let me
give talks.

But it’s not like I’m trying to keep others out of this game, because
there is just so much that I wish we could build and not enough time!
Come on! Let’s build the future together!"

I wonder what the academic version of this paragraph looks like. Here's
my attempt...

"I’m going to try to build a totally great new thing. It’s going to be a
lot of work, but it will be worth it because it’s going to be so useful
and cool. Gosh, it would be awful if other people came and stole my
idea, so this is going to be a lonely pursuit and having others work
with me will only happen if I really trust them; I already know I’m not
chasing after a windmill.

If somebody wants to work on it with me, I’m going to figure out if I
can trust them, then work out the arrangements of our secure, long-term
commitment, then give them what they need to work on it. And we have to
keep this secret - if somebody tells me they used it and found six
problems in it, that might keep us from getting published. Users are
awesome, but only when we're ready for them; when they do things we
expect, they make our CVs swell with papers. Also, bonus, having lots of
papers means people want to give me tenure or let me give talks.

But it's not like I'm trying to keep others out of this game, I'm just
making sure they do it properly and in a way that doesn't hurt me,
because there's so much to do and not enough time to deal with crap if
it comes up! Come on! Let’s build the future together!"

--Mel