[TOS] Seb Benthall on FOSS vs academic culture

Sabin, Mihaela mihaela.sabin at unh.edu
Fri Mar 9 13:25:27 UTC 2012

Jim,

I'm teaching an web application development course http://unhmwebappsdevel.wordpress.com this semester, in which the tools and practices are open source.

I have had three open source developers and teachers present in my class on topics ranging from "the open source way" in general to specific aspects, such as version control, issue tracking, and unit testing. The presenters are involved with open source community projects CivicCRM, Drupal, Public Laboratory, and FarmHack, and client-oriented open source projects Ronald McDonald homebase and homeroom. We use Skype and a 40 minute format that include 10-15 minutes Q&A.

This is to invite you to present in my class. It runs Thursday nights, 5:30 - 8:30 PM EST. I'll be happy to tell you more about my experience with TOS.

Looking forward to making a teaching/learning connection,
Mihaela