[TOS] Fwd: [EXT] Greetings to the GNU Education Project from the TOS community!

Dave Neary dneary at gnome.org
Fri Mar 23 09:38:05 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 03/22/2012 11:07 PM, Don Davis wrote:
> Well, that seems unfortunately typical for the FSF. (I'm a dues paying
> member, but...) I don't know that they have a real interested in
> education. Responses I've received from FSF members and representatives
> before included: (1) making source code available is how we'll improve
> "Free" software education and (2) join Debian-edu. [1 won't change
> things systemically and 2 - the Skole-Linux fellows seem to be great
> guys but I don't know that stalking a Scandinavian/German list will help
> bring about wide spread changes.]
>
> Her response is snippity and shows that she and similarly the FSF are
> more interested in semantic (here completely unjustified) quibbling
> rather than affecting change.

I'd like people to avoid the assumption that one person's response is
representative of either the organisation or all of its members.

I know lots of great FSF and GNU people, and in general we're on the
same side. Personally I prefer avoiding talking about topics like this,
and focussing instead about what we have in common - a love of software
freedom and a desire to teach people that sharing is better.

Let's avoid all tribalism which only serves as a distraction from that
common goal, shall we?

Thanks!
Dave.

--