[TOS] Fwd: [EXT] Greetings to the GNU Education Project from the TOS community!

Ralph Morelli ralph.morelli at trincoll.edu
Fri Mar 23 12:38:17 UTC 2012

I'm sure many have already seen this article
by Richard Stallman (originally published in  CACM), which gives the
rationale behind the semantic disagreement.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

I agree with the views expressed there and have used this article
in courses as a way of sparking discussion.

I remember when we were trying to come up with a name/acronym
for the HFOSS project.  We had a similar debate. We decided that
it was important that the "F" be included as a way of bridging the
divide and signaling agreement with the free software philosophy
as articulated by Stallman.

-- ralph