[TOS] (Most of) the response I received from the GNU Education team

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Sat Mar 31 15:47:29 UTC 2012

Hello list,
Some of you might remember a recent thread about GNU/Education and its
possible relation to TOS.

I too wrote GNU/Education. I just received a response. I've included the
salient bits. I found Mrs. Dora Scilipoti's response to be very amicable
and informative.

A fwd of the salient bits:

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us and for all the useful information, I hope
you will excuse me for this delayed reply.

<snip>

> Jim Klein has developed his own netbook remix: http://ubermix.org/

Looks interesting, specially now that we are witnessing ever growing
attempts to deploy the iPad nationwide in schools; some successful, I'm
sad to say.

> I am very interested in researching the spread of software from K12
> software initiatives to students' communities and the impact of free
> software (FSF free) on students' tech efficacy and identity. I would >
be very grateful if you could share/compile a list such programs that >
you might gather.

Are you looking for information in the US or worldwide? In the US
unfortunately we don't have much at the moment, but in case it's useful
for you, we have an excellent example of libre software implementation
in more than 2,600 elementary, middle and high public schools in
India[1]. The results seem to be excellent, students are getting a real
first hand feel of IT and getting their hands dirty too, meaning that
10-12 years old are actually studying and modifying code! They are being
taught that software freedom matters and how they can influence the
development of technology. They also learn programming and how to
assemble a pc. We chose one of those schools as an example[2] but there
are many. In the classroom they stick posters all over with the four
freedoms, just as they hang up maps on the walls. We also have an
article[3] on how they did it. We are going to publish a video on that soon.

That looks like an example of how FS helps achieve tech efficacy and
identity, but I'm not sure it is what you are looking for? We don't list
every single libre educational program in our site, but we would like to
build a catalog, big job. we will certainly share it, yes. Check our
edu-software page for two other examples.

[1] https://www.itschool.gov.in/
[2] http://www.gnu.org/education/edu-cases-india-irimpanam.html
[3] http://www.gnu.org/education/edu-software-tuxpaint.html

> I have shared the earlier message with the TOS (Teaching Open
> Source) mailing list.

Ah! Yes, I asked them if there was a possibility of including Free
Libre software there but haven't got an answer yet.

Keep in touch!

--
Dora Scilipoti
GNU Education Team