[TOS] Good news! Grant awarded!

Heidi Ellis heidijcellis at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 22:20:38 UTC 2012

Hi Folks,

We have some good news! As some of you know, Greg Hislop and Sean Goggins
from Drexel, Heidi Ellis and Stoney Jackson from Western New England
University, and Darci Burge and Lori Postner from Nassau Community College
submitted an NSF TUES Type 2 proposal back in January. We have just learned
that the proposal, titled "OpenFE: Developing Faculty Expertise and Creating
Learning Materials for Humanitarian Free and Open Source Software,"  has
been awarded!

So why are we telling you? Because the proposal aims to enhance TOS as part
of the effort, as well as build on POSSE. The grant runs from September
15th, 2012 through August 31st, 2014 and has a main focus on getting faculty
members up to speed on FOSS tools and culture so that they can support
student participation in FOSS. In particular, the grant provides funding to
get faculty members to workshops, including POSSE. Simultaneous efforts
include building the community of FOSS teachers and representatives,  and
developing course materials.  We anticipate that many of you will be
interested in some part of this effort and we look forward to collaborating
with you as we go forward.

We are just starting this effort and we will keep you apprised as we
undertake the grant activities.

The OpenFE Team:

Heidi Ellis (Western New England University)

Greg Hislop (Drexel University)

Lori Postner (Nassau Community College)

Darci Burge  (Nassau Community College)

Stoney Jackson  (Western New England University)

Sean Goggins (Drexel University)