[TOS] POSSE alumni, you should have email...

Mel Chua mel at purdue.edu
Tue Sep 11 03:13:09 UTC 2012

Am 10.09.2012 19:09, schrieb Stephen Jacobs:
> Great.  Mel and I should be distributing a survey to POSSE alums any day now

Where by "any day now," we mean "today." If you're a POSSE alum, you
should have *just* gotten an email about participating in a survey on
POSSE's impact; if you think we've missed you for any reason, let me
know off-list and I'll work to fix it.

The survey hopes to answer questions like:
* what motivated people to attend POSSE?
* how many total student-hours have been spent working on FOSS for a
POSSE alumni's classes?
* what sort of FOSS-related extracurricular (non-class) activities are
POSSE alumni supporting?
* what are the most useful tools and techniques taught at POSSE, and
what level of familiarity do most people enter with?

The big incentive (I hope): when 50% of POSSE alumni have completed the
survey, the (anonymized, aggregated) responses will be made available as
a public dataset. (This has been approved by RIT's IRB thanks to Steve.)
We'll then all be able to use it for our research. I am hoping we'll be
able to share the data before FIE at the start of October, since it
sounds like a good number of TOS folks will be there -- but that depends
entirely on how quickly people fill out the survey. ;)

--Mel