[TOS] Statistics/Papers about Open Source at Universities?

Mel Chua mel at purdue.edu
Tue Sep 11 19:43:00 UTC 2012

>> to any papers or research about the percent of universities that are
>> teaching open source software as part of the computer science education
>> and/or those which are using open source in general in their university.
>> I've found lots of resources that indicate that it's important to use open
>> source, but I have yet to find any specific papers with percentages of those
>> teaching/using it.

Measuring "teaching open source" activity has many of the same problems
as measuring "using open source" activity -- since it's an open process
with no registration, training, etc. requirements, there's no central
authority or definitive number. Which makes our lives as researchers a
little harder. ;)

That having been said, there might be some things we can point you to
that could help paint a better picture (like the paper Gregorio linked
to -- thanks, Gregorio, I hadn't seen that one before!) Carol, are you
looking for...

* universities/colleges using open source in their IT infrastructure
(I'm guessing no, but this would be one of the easier ones to chase
down; iirc there are Red Hat sales folks dedicated to education accounts
and they might be able to give numbers of some sort)

* universities/colleges using open source as part of classroom
infrastructure, at the individual professor level -- a faculty member
setting up a Linux lab, or a Mediawiki instance for his/her department,
or having students blog on a common class Planet -- where students may
use FLOSS software, but it's incidental to the primary learning goals
(somewhat impossible to measure, except anecdotally or from stats from
edu-focused projects like Moodle)

* universities/colleges with classes that focus specifically on teaching
the *use* of open source tools (graphic design through Inkscape instead
of Photoshop, etc -- and do classes focused on open source programming
languages like Python count? Again, pretty impossible to measure)

* universities/colleges with classes that focus on having students
*contribute* to FLOSS projects (patching Firefox, doing requirements
analysis for RTEMS, testing GNOME betas, hosting Ubuntu installfests,
etc?) I think most people here focus on this last category. In terms of
frequency of that in North America, this is a *very* partial count, but
there are...

* 10 HFOSS institutions, according to
http://www.hfoss.org/index.php/chapters_list
* 71 POSSE alumni (some from the HFOSS institutions, some from others)
before the summer of 2012; the number is closer to 100 now
* multiple academic centers/institutes/etc focused on FLOSS -- I can
think of OSU, RPI, and RIT right now but am probably missing some.
Again, some overlap. And also note that all those faculty/institutions
may not have active classes/programs at this very moment.

But as a rough order of magnitude, let's grossly underestimate 100
faculty, anywhere in the world, actively teaching FLOSS contribution in
their classes right now. Let's say each of them does this for at least
one class, that the average class size is 25 students, and that students
spend an average of 9 hours a week on that professor's class. Then we're
looking at 100*25*9*2 = 45,000 student-hours, or the equivalent of
23,4375 full-time jobs (40 hours per week, 48 weeks per year). And
that's very, very, *very* much an underestimate (and only looks at
student-hours, not professor-hours -- and only looks at classes, not
clubs or capstones or co-ops or research), but probably falls within the
order-of-magnitude ballpark.

Maybe a better question is what you're trying to use this sort of data
for. :)

--Mel