[TOS] Contributing to the TOS textbook

Dan Scott dan at coffeecode.net
Fri Feb 8 15:26:25 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 12:36:20AM -0500, Jonathan Loy wrote:
> Greetings TOS members,
>
> I am a college student currently reading the TOS textbook for my
> software engineering class. I deeply appreciate the work everyone has
> put into the project, and would like to also contribute by fixing
> typos and/or updating portions of the textbook. For example I would
> like to contribute an alternate path for Chapter 4 & 5 by using
> distributed version control, namely git, but given enough time bazaar
> and mercurial. Another option is to update the text to offer more
> specific guidance for OS X, Ubuntu, and Windows users.

On the git note, specifically, I recently wrote up an intro to version
control & git for a talk that I gave to our comp sci students a few
weeks ago. I tried to build in learning objectives and checkpoints, but
it could certainly be improved. In any case, the source materials
(Asciidoc) are linked to from
http://coffeecode.net/archives/262-Introducing-version-control-git-in-1.5-hours-to-undergraduates.html
and hosted on gitorious (naturally).

> Unfortunately, I am unable to find any working issue tracker (it just
> says fix me in plain text) or another public contribution avenue for
> the textbook. I am hoping the textbook project is not dead, so if you
> could please inform me how to properly help this project it would be
> greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read my email.

I think the public contribution area is the wiki itself. Log in and
edit? And the issue tracker seems to be the discussion section for each
page. IIRC, much of this was written during a doc sprint a few years
back. I'm not an authority on the TOS project at all; I'm just an
interested (and mostly quiet) party who has slowly been trying to
introduce FOSS to our students at Laurentian University through informal
talks, as I'm not part of the Comp Sci faculty and not really in a
position to influence the formal curriculum.