[TOS] Maintainer of TOS??

tosmail20110729.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net tosmail20110729.neophyte_rep at ordinaryamerican.net
Tue Feb 12 22:15:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:47 AM, Heidi Ellis - heidijcellis at gmail.com
<tosmail20110729.neophyte_rep.dc4d5abc45.heidijcellis#gmail.com at ob.0sg.net>
wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Could someone please identify the current maintainer of the TOS wiki?  The
> OpenFE team is working on providing instructions on how to join TOS and we
> have encountered a couple of problems.
>
> 2.       I note that there is also a captcha for email addresses. How is
> this generated? When someone adds their name to the Roll Call, should they
> simply include their regular email address and will the captcha be added
> later?

If you are referring to the captcha that is displayed as " Email
address via reCAPTCHA™ Mailhide", you'll notice in the history of that
page, I added those in July, 2010.  I did them by hand, hoping that
those that later added their own roll call entry would follow suit.  I
thought there was enough information in the entries I made and at the
reCAPTCHA™ site that anyone could generate their own.  I did it
because I thought the plain text display of email addresses and minor
obfuscations such as "someone AT mousepotato.com" or
"someoneNOSPAM at mousepotato.com" were too easily harvested by spammers.
 Since then it has been asserted that reCAPTCHA™'s technique has been
decoded, but I haven't found any quasi-official documentation of that.

There is no programatically enforced use of reCAPTCHA™, so you can use
plain text or manual obfuscation if you wish.  I haven't been
motivated lately to search for plain text addresses and make the
change and probably won't be so motivated in the near future.

As to the other captcha, I have no information.