[TOS] looking for feedback on ideas for an open source development course

Sebastian Benthall sbenthall at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 07:09:56 UTC 2013

Thanks again for this feedback.  It's great and helpful.

A few things are on my mind as I read these comments.

The first is about the trade-off between assigning readings and practical
experience.  What I'm hearing is a preference in this community towards
practice, which makes sense.  But I think that these students--Masters
students in an interdisciplinary professional school--might be different
from the undergraduate computer scientists that similar courses are
targeted at.  These students will have already been exposed to a lot of social
science <http://courses.ischool.berkeley.edu/i203/s13/?page_id=21> about
IT, and are primarily interested in getting interesting jobs coming out the
program.  So, part of what I was thinking with the readings is how to
expose them to open source in a way that would make them consider
organizations based around it as a viable professional choice.  (note: I
included Twitter on this list because of their stated commitment to open
sourcing many of their core components--I'm coming around grudgingly to
thinking this sort of model is not so bad.  At least their heart is in the
right place.  Not even GitHub open sources everything--it's still an 'open
core' model.)

Another thing I'm hearing is that contributing to an existing project is
preferable to starting a new one.  That makes a lot of sense.  But I also
know that what will excite these students is the development of some kind
of usable application that they can use in their portfolios.  I want to
give them the opportunity to build towards that.  And while I see the point
about how it's best to learn from an existing community, I wonder if a
project where everything needs to be pushed back through an already large
community would prevent them from moving as swiftly as they'd like.  Any
advice on the kinds of projects that it's appropriate to get students to
work on?  What I'm wondering now is if I can find a way to frame the
project so that there are real decisions to be made about what gets pushed
upstream and what makes it into the application.  That would square with my
experience of trying to build new open source products, at least.

What I had in mind with the idea of starting a new project was partly also
as a way to show why open source practices are the way they are.  I mean,
almost immediately if people start developing they are going to run into
the kinds of problems that open source best practices are designed to
solve.  I guess I'd argue that facing those problems and adopting norms to
solve them is a very different kind of experience than learning a set of
practices from an existing community.  In the former case, the norms are
real solutions, in the latter case they may seem arbitrary.

Admittedly what I'm drawing from here is experience being thrown into the
deep-end on building out new projects and interfacing with several smaller,
idiosyncratic projects.  I wonder if this is a different open source
experience from, say, the experience of working with Linux.  I'm very
curious what projects you use for your teaching, and how far out on the
long tail of project sizes they are.

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 1:51 PM, carlsonp @iastate.edu <carlsonp at iastate.edu