[TOS] Getting FOSS more Visibility at ACM SIGCSE

STEPHEN JACOBS itprofjacobs at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 01:12:00 UTC 2014

Greetings HFOSS folks!

THere's about two weeks left to get ACM SIGCSE proposal in.  Are people submitting, or planning to submit, around the scheme discussed below?

Howdy Folks,

 I have been talking to my colleague Dr. Adrienne Decker, co-chair of the SIGCSE conference this year, about how to raise visibility for FOSS in CS Education more prominently at the conf this year.

She suggests the following...
We make a push amongst our colleagues for numerous submissions this year.
TOS members and other FOSS Education fans put the following In the notes section for the submission; "The authors of this submission are working together with the web-based community "Teaching Open Source" (TOS) to promote the use of Free and Open Source Software in CS education.  Should there be enough accepted submissions to warrant it, members of TOS would be happy to help promote the accepted papers, provide advice about sequencing them, moderate a track or assist in any other way the program commit might desire"
Once they have made one or more FOSS_related submissions to ACM SIGCSE, they should send a note to me with the names of the submissions.  I will thenaggregate that info and pass it on to Adreinne so she will have it in hand when the program committee starts meeting, which will be before the official acceptances go out.
Should there be enough accepted submissions depending on the interests of the program committee, there would be at mimimum, a highlighting of all the FOSS content across the conf.  A FOSS track and/or a "FOSS Day" are also possible should the numbers warrant it and the program committee be interested in pursuing one of those options.
The general call is below...

******CALL FOR PARTICIPATION******
SIGCSE 2015
Keep Connected – Keep Committed – Keep Computing
The 46th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education
March 4 – 7, 2015, Kansas City, Missouri, USA
http://www.sigcse2015.sigcse.org

The submission site is now available: https://www.openconf.org/sigcse2015/

SIGCSE 2015 continues our long tradition of bringing together colleagues from around the world to discuss computer science education in both formal and informal settings.  The SIGCSE 2015 program offers a variety of sessions: papers, panels, posters, special sessions, workshops, birds-of-a-feather, and new this year, lightning talks and demos! The SIGCSE Technical Symposium addresses problems common among educators working to develop, implement and/or evaluate computing programs, curricula, and courses. The symposium provides a forum for sharing new ideas for syllabi, laboratories, and other elements of teaching and pedagogy, at all levels of instruction.

Theme
Submissions in line with the conference theme, “Keep Connected – Keep Committed – Keep Computing,” are encouraged. The theme is a call for all of us to make sure that our efforts in this field keep us moving in the right directions.  We need to keep connected with each other for the sharing of ideas.  We want our students to be connected to each other and to us to help further their educational experience.  We need to keep our focus and commitment on the efforts we are pursuing to further computing education.  And most importantly we need to keep our students committed to the field so that they will keep computing.

We are particularly interested in keeping our community connected with interesting educational efforts in upper level courses, open-source software, outreach, and education research.  We are continuing to keep our commitment to the inclusion of a wide-variety of submissions in the program that span the spectrum of experience reports to scientifically rigorous educational studies.  We are excited for you to be a part of showing our community why we all need to keep computing.

Submissions:
Papers, Panels, Special Sessions, Workshops: Friday, September 5, 2014
Student Research Competition: Monday, September 29, 2014
Birds of a Feather, Posters: Monday, October 27, 2014
***NEW*** Lightning Talks, Demos: Monday, October 27, 2014

Submission site: https://www.openconf.org/sigcse2015/

PAPERS
Papers describe an educational research project, classroom experience, teaching technique, curricular initiative, or pedagogical tool. Submitted papers for review will be anonymous. Papers will undergo a blind reviewing process and must not exceed six pages. Accepted papers will need to submit a non-anonymous version for publication in the proceedings after acceptance.  Authors will have approximately 25 minutes for their presentations, including questions and answers.

PANELS
Panels present multiple perspectives on a specific topic. To allow each panelist sufficient time to present his or her perspective and still enable audience participation, a panel will normally have at most four panelists, including one moderator. Panel submissions should include a list of the panelists, their affiliations, and a description of the topic, with brief position statements from panelists. Proposals with more than four panelists must provide a statement connecting the extra panelist to the effectiveness of the panel and must convincingly show that each panelist will be able to speak, and the audience able to respond, within the session time. Panel abstracts must not exceed two pages. A panel session is approximately 75 minutes.

SPECIAL SESSIONS
Special sessions are your opportunity to customize and experiment with the SIGCSE conference format. Possible special sessions include a seminar on a new topic, a committee report, or a forum on curriculum issues. More generally, they must be 75 minutes in length, held in standard conference spaces, and justifiably be distinct from the panel, paper, and poster tracks. Within those constraints, the form is yours to design. Special session abstracts must not exceed two pages.

WORKSHOPS
Workshops offer participants opportunities to learn new techniques and technologies designed to foster education, scholarship, and collaborations.  A workshop proposal (including abstract) must not exceed two pages.  Proposals must specify equipment needs (e.g., participant-supplied laptops, room configurations, and A/V equipment) and any limitation on the number of participants.  Workshops are scheduled for a three-hour session and do not conflict with the technical sessions.

BIRDS OF A FEATHER SESSIONS
Birds of a Feather (BOF) sessions provide an environment for colleagues with similar interests to meet for informal discussions. A maximum one-page description (including abstract) is requested to describe the informal discussion topic. A/V equipment will not be provided for these sessions. Approximately 45 minutes are allocated to each BOF topic.

POSTERS
Posters describe computer science education materials or research, particularly works in progress. Proposals (including abstract) are limited to two pages. Poster demonstrations are scheduled to permit one-on-one discussion with conference attendees, typically during session breaks. Prepared handouts are encouraged in order to share your work.

***NEW THIS YEAR*** LIGHTNING TALKS
Lightning talks describe works in progress, new and untested ideas, or opportunities for collaborative work.  The purpose of a lightning talk can be to start a discussion, find collaborators, or receive input and critique about an idea.  Proposals are limited to 500 words and will be anonymously reviewed for acceptance.  Lightning talk presentations will be 5 minutes each and given without media/slide support.

***NEW THIS YEAR*** DEMOS
Demos provide a way to showcase an educational tool or project in a live setting.  Not designed to be sales pitches, demonstrations are a way for the community to see the relevance, potential and innovation of the tool and allow time for discussion with its creator. Proposals (including abstract) are limited to two pages and will be reviewed for anonymously reviewed for acceptance. Proposals must specify any equipment needs (e.g., power, A/V equipment, space needs).  Demos will be 30 minutes in length and will occur during break periods at a designated space in the exhibition hall.

STUDENT RESEARCH COMPETITION
Research from all areas of computer science is considered for awards in two categories of competition: graduate and undergraduate. All submissions must represent a student's individual research contribution and a student must be an ACM student member to qualify for awards and travel grants. Entry due date is September 29, 2014.

PROCEEDINGS AVAILABILITY
The proceedings will be publicly available from the ACM Digital Library 14 days before the start of the conference.  Therefore, the official publication date for the proceedings will be February 18, 2015.  The official publication date is the date the proceedings are made available in the ACM Digital Library. This date may be up to two weeks prior to the first day of your conference. The official publication date affects the deadline for any patent filings related to published work.  (For those rare conferences whose proceedings are published in the ACM Digital Library after the conference is over, the official publication date remains the first day of the conference.)  For this conference, the official publication date is February 18, 2015.

Dates to Remember
September 5, 2014: Papers, Panels, Special Sessions, Workshops submissions due
September 29, 2014: Student Research Competition submissions due
October 13, 2014: Acceptance/rejection notification for papers, panels, special sessions, and workshops
October 27, 2014: Birds of a Feather, Posters, Lightning Talks, Demos submissions due
November 15, 2014: Acceptance/rejection notification for birds of a feather, posters, lightning talks, demos
December 1, 2014: Final versions of accepted submissions due
March 4 – 7, 2015: SIGCSE 2015 in Kansas City, Missouri

Contact information
For questions about submissions, contact the program co-chairs: Carl Alphonce and Jodi Tims (sigcse2015-program at rit.edu).

For questions about the conference location or logistics, contact the symposium co-chairs: Adrienne Decker and Kurt Eiselt (sigcse2015-symposium at rit.edu).