[TOS] Creation of open source curriculum, open invitation

Joseph B. Ottinger jottinge at redhat.com
Wed Jul 2 16:05:54 UTC 2014

Hello, all.

My name is Joseph Ottinger. I'm an engineer at Red Hat, presently tasked
with creating a curriculum for the purpose of providing students with an
awareness of open source culture, tools, goals, and community.

We are in the beginning stages of creating an open source project around
the creation of this curriculum, and we would like to invite any
interested parties to participate. We are passionate around the open
source way, and think that creating this curriculum through a visible,
open process will allow it to serve as a model for the concepts it is
designed to teach.

We have a general table of contents already, but it's very much only an
initial concept; consider this an invitation to please help flesh it out
and improve it, so that we can create the highest quality material
possible; one of our primary goals is to take this open curriculum and
have it published as a textbook. Any suggestions are welcomed, from
actual topical concerns to additional resources to consider.

The (current, proposed) table of contents looks like this:

1) Introduction
2) Open Source Fundamentals (what "open source" means)
3) Communities (defining "community," and interacting with it)
4) Legal Aspects
5) Principles (what makes "open source" open source)
6) Practices and Toolchains (the processes through which open source
projects operate)
7) History and Evolution
8) When and Why to Make Something Open Source
9) Open Source Cultures (discussing the mores of the different types of
open source communities)

Thank you.