[TOS] Creation of open source curriculum, open invitation

Emma Irwin emma.irwin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 16:19:02 UTC 2014

Hi Joseph,

I am 100% interested in helping with this as it evolves.  I am a Mozilla
Rep, and often (informally) teach Open Source
<http://tiptoes.ca/peering-through-the-keyhole/>- I'm also running a
workshop as part of OSCON kids
<http://www.oscon.com/oscon2014/public/schedule/detail/35847> on this
topic.  And... I match technical contributors, who haven't worked in open
source, with open projects as part of my job as Developer Community Manager
at SocialCoding4Good <http://www.socialcoding4good.org/> .

Finally... I am in the planning stages of creating curriculum for an Open
Source workshop in the fall for women , and would love to
leverage/contribute to this work.

So ... would love to stay in touch on this

-Emma

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Joseph B. Ottinger <jottinge at redhat.com>
wrote:

> Hello, all.
>

> My name is Joseph Ottinger. I'm an engineer at Red Hat, presently tasked
> with creating a curriculum for the purpose of providing students with an
> awareness of open source culture, tools, goals, and community.
>
> We are in the beginning stages of creating an open source project around
> the creation of this curriculum, and we would like to invite any interested
> parties to participate. We are passionate around the open source way, and
> think that creating this curriculum through a visible, open process will
> allow it to serve as a model for the concepts it is designed to teach.
>
> We have a general table of contents already, but it's very much only an
> initial concept; consider this an invitation to please help flesh it out
> and improve it, so that we can create the highest quality material
> possible; one of our primary goals is to take this open curriculum and have
> it published as a textbook. Any suggestions are welcomed, from actual
> topical concerns to additional resources to consider.
>

> The (current, proposed) table of contents looks like this:
>

> 1) Introduction
> 2) Open Source Fundamentals (what "open source" means)
> 3) Communities (defining "community," and interacting with it)
> 4) Legal Aspects
> 5) Principles (what makes "open source" open source)
> 6) Practices and Toolchains (the processes through which open source
> projects operate)
> 7) History and Evolution
> 8) When and Why to Make Something Open Source
> 9) Open Source Cultures (discussing the mores of the different types of
> open source communities)
>

> Thank you.

Emma Irwin
@sunnydeveloper