[TOS] Creation of open source curriculum, open invitation

Williams, Chadd C. chadd at pacificu.edu
Wed Jul 2 19:29:41 UTC 2014

I think the creation of a standard curriculum and textbook would be very useful.  I'd love to help.  I am most interested in a textbook targeted at the college level.

Right now, it does appear that people teaching a course at the college level on OSS are doing so motivated by their own passion.  I think having a starting point, such as a text book, would encourage more people to be willing to teach a course.  If you are not a full time OSS developer, there is a fairly long list of software and cultural artifacts you need to be familiar with before feeling comfortable enough to teach a course.

This Fall, I'll be teaching a course on Open Source Development and it has been quite a lot of work to determine: 1) what should be taught 2) how that should be taught 3) how to build useful exercises and 4) how to assess student progress.  (Spoiler alert: I'm still not sure!)

thanks,
chadd

--
Chadd Williams