[TOS] tos Digest, Vol 61, Issue 7

Michael Adeyeye micadeyeye at ngportal.com
Sat Oct 25 07:09:42 UTC 2014

On 11/10/14 00:53, tos-request at teachingopensource.org wrote:
>>    1. SIGCSE 2015, Red Hat, and you (Tom Callaway) (STEPHEN JACOBS)
>>
>> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2014 10:22:14 -0400
>> From: Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com>
>> To: tos at teachingopensource.org
>> Subject: [TOS] SIGCSE 2015, Red Hat, and you
>>
>> In March 2015, SIGCSE will be happening again (in Kansas City, KS, USA),
>> and for the first time, Red Hat will have a exhibit booth on the floor.
>> We'd like to use our booth space not only to promote Red Hat, but also,
>> to promote educators who are teaching open source!
>>
>> We're hoping to do something where we can set up a schedule of times for
>> attendees to come to the Red Hat booth and visit with open source
>> educators. This is a great way to show the larger CSE community what
>> you've accomplished, and to pick up tips and tricks.
>>
>> If you're interested in participating, please let me know (and feel free
>> to pass this offer along to anyone else you know of who might be
>> interested).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom Callaway
>>
>> ==
>> Red Hat University Outreach
>>
> Every time I read about SIGCSE, I always assume that it's for the folks
> in NA (North America). There might be some Open Source folks attending
> it from Asia though. And I would like to hear about that.
>
> Otherwise, the African continent is hardly represented there. We were
> once fortunate to see ToS sponsor one of my colleagues to the event,
> SIGCSE '11, few months after POSSE SA. Order than that, we've not seen
> any other representative there in the last few years.
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 02:08:35 -0700
> From: STEPHEN FASHOTO <fashotos at run.edu.ng>
> To: Discussions about Teaching Open Source
> 	<tos at teachingopensource.org>
> Subject: Re: [TOS] SIGCSE 2015, Red Hat, and you
>
> sorry for the delay in replying your text message. My school just move down
> to Ede last month to commence lecture this month so i believe they will not
> be willing to host anything now .
>
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Michael Adeyeye <micadeyeye at ngportal.com>
> wrote:

@Stephen: No worries. I was not asking that your school should host
another event. POSSE NG took place at your school and UniOsun. And
that's all about it. I was rather pitching a potential partnership
between Mozilla and your school.
@ToS members: When we had POSSE NG
(http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/POSSE_Nigeria), I made sure the
participants contributed back to one or more projects belonging to the
sponsor, Mozilla. ANd the projects were the FirefoxOS and Firefox
translations - http://mozilla.locamotion.org/yo/.
We are now planning POSSE GH (Ghana) and/or POSSE KY (Kenya) and the
sponsor, this time around, is Red Hat. I have been butting head with the
other instructors about what projects to contribute to. I could get the
participants to contribute to a Fedora package (i.e. develop one ground
up or update an existing one). But I don't know what package would be a
good choice.
This is the reason I am contacting the ToS members. We would appreciate
it if the community could share some tips, comments and suggestions
w.r.t. it.

Regards,
Michael