[TOS] Cancelled: POSSE CALL

Lynn Lambert llambert at cnu.edu
Thu Apr 9 17:22:02 UTC 2015

Hi all,
I would like to participate.  I also have a student who wants to introduce opensource and programming at a school with high ability high school graduates with no financial means to travel to further their education in Kigali, Rwanda (http://kepler.org/#home <http://kepler.org/#home>). This is all pretty new, and may not happen, but if it does, he is considering using this textbook to modify as he is teaching (he would start this summer, then return to finish his BS, then possibly go back). He is an undergraduate himself, but with experience in open source. Could he participate in the phone call?

Apparentlly, this program, started by A US company has a training program there for exceptionally high scoring secondary school graduates who do not have the resources to go on to a regular college.  They bring the students to their campus for some concentrated learning sessions and teach them on line during the rest of the time, while the students are working at whatever jobs they can get.  The students get a US based diploma. The focus is on preparing the students to do real jobs in the developing economy, for example, in hospital administration.  Theoretically, the objective is to prepare the students to be successful as the country modernizes; something that is happening rapidly. The people on the ground are mostly young professionals from the US who are taking a break before moving into careers.

Thank you.
Lynn

> On Apr 8, 2015, at 6:43 PM, Nick Yeates <nyeates at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> I would very much like to have this call this friday and assure others are invited.
> I would like to get feedback on the OSS Curriculum effort.
>
> Greg or Heidi, could one of you handle the calendar invite? I was going to do it myself, but I like that this is educator-led :-)
>
> -Nick
>
>> On Apr 8, 2015, at 6:37 PM, Gina Likins <glikins at redhat.com <mailto:glikins at redhat.com>> wrote:
>>
>> A single instance of the following meeting has been cancelled:
>>
>> Subject:	POSSE CALL
>> Organizer:	"Gina Likins" <glikins at redhat.com <mailto:glikins at redhat.com>>
>> Location:	800-451-8679 passcode 5243679071# (owner code 9816# - will only be needed if I can't be there)
>> Time:	Friday, April 10, 2015, 11:00:00 AM - 11:45:00 AM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
>> Invitees:	tcallawa at redhat.com <mailto:tcallawa at redhat.com>; hislopg at drexel.edu <mailto:hislopg at drexel.edu>; ellis at wne.edu <mailto:ellis at wne.edu>
>> *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>>
>> Greg, Heidi-
>>
>> I think both Tom and I are on the road this Friday (I am heading to CCSC in Arkansas and Tom's at Pycon), so if you guys want to use this block of time to talk with Nick about Teaching OSS that's great (although you will need to open the bridge, Nick; the info is in the invite).
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Gina
>>
>> -----
>> Gina Likins
>> University Outreach
>> Open Source and Standards
>> 11S133, Red Hat Tower
>> 100 E. Davie St.; Raleigh, NC 27601
>> glikins at redhat.com <mailto:glikins at redhat.com>
>> (919)890-8322 or internally 48322
>>
>> <meeting.ics>

Lynn Lambert, PhD, Associate Chair
Physics, Computer Science and Engineering Department
Christopher Newport University
Newport News, Va 23606
Luter 325
757-594-7826