[TOS] FYI: Open Source Instructional Materials being created

Nick Yeates nyeates at redhat.com
Fri Jun 19 18:48:40 UTC 2015

Educators,

Red Hat is working to curate -- and where necessary, create -- a set of instructional materials for teaching open source.
https://github.com/OSAS/tos-repository <https://github.com/OSAS/tos-repository>

After presenting some progress to a small gathering of POSSE alums, they recommended that we post an initial “here is what we are doing”.

This project does not yet have outwardly useful product. We simply want to make you aware, and keep you updated on its progress. We will send out occasional updates as we progress. If you want to know more, I suggest you read the overview below or click the link above (prettier). Feedback is welcome.

----

> Teaching open source fundamentals, development, methodologies, and culture is a challenge. Finding content to teach it is even harder. This project gathers the best-of-the-best resources, activities, and examples for teaching open source in an educational environment.
>
> When exploring burgeoning subjects such as open source, teachers need to educate themselves and quickly find existing quality content for use in their classroom. This project attempts to provide that opportunity.
>
> === What you will find most useful
>   * *Key background readings* - don't dig though hundreds of search results
>   * *Actual projects and activities* - ones that are used in real classrooms
>   * *Sample learning objectives* - along with rubrics
>   * *Contextual explanations* - how and where content might be used
>
> === A guide to what is already out there
> Much of the content around what open source is and how it is done, already exists. Instead of rehashing all of this information, this project will act as a *focal*, *curated*, and *organized* location that links off to other expert resources. At the same time, it has the flexibility to house teaching-specific resources not found elsewhere. It will establish what is important around open source, what the key topics are, where you can go to learn about these topics, and then dive into real-world teacher/classroom exercises, tools, best practices and grading rubrics.
>
> === Not a curriculum
> To clarify, this is not a curriculum in and of itself. You know your own students and what will work for them best, so you should feel free to pick and choose from these materials as you see fit to create a curriculum that suits your needs.

Regards,
-Nick Yeates
University Outreach
http://community.redhat.com/ <http://community.redhat.com/>