[TOS] OER course pack, "Producing Open Source Software"

Patrick Masson masson at opensource.org
Wed Jul 27 21:32:36 UTC 2016

Hello POSSE & Teaching Open Source Faculty,

TL;DR: Open Source Initiative and OERu are developing a course pack, based
on Karl Fogel's
“Producing Open Source Software” [1], for teaching development principles
and
practices in open source software and community development. We are looking
for
faculty interested in using this work in their course. If interested please
contact me at masson at opensource.org.

Details: My name is Patrick Masson and in addition to working at the Open
Source Initiative, I teach a course at The State University of New York at
Albany, Open Source Principles and Practices [2]. One issue hindering the
expansion of teaching open source software develop within institutions of
higher education, is the lack of ready-made teaching and learning materials,
specifically “course packs.” Course packs, as many of you probably know, are
compilations of course content (lecture slides, readings, even a syllabus)
and activities (quizzes, projects, assignments, etc.) put into one
easy-to-access place for students, and can act as a supplement to a
textbook or as a replacement. These are commonly produced by textbook
publishers.

Without such a resource, it is often left up to individual faculty to
develop their own resources—which I am sure for many of us is just fine.
But for departments and colleges, without such a resource (or the motivated
faculty to develop their own), the burden is too great—especially if they
do not already have an interested and motivated faculty member to “go it
alone.”

The Open Source Initiative [3] and the OERu [4] have begun a project to
develop a course pack, on par with those offered by publishers for other
academic disciplines/subjects, based on the text, “Producing Open Source
Software, by Karl Fogel.

While we would be very interested in hearing from any faculty teaching open
source, as both content experts and experienced educators on the subject,
our primary need is to identify faculty members who would actually like to
use the course pack when complete.

Additionally, in order for the OERu to meet it's own internal requirements
for developing OER materials, we are specifically looking for faculty
members who are teaching at one of their affiliated, Partner Institutions
[5].

If you are currently teaching at an OERu Partner Institution and interested
in this project, please contact me at masson at opensource.org for more
information, how you can help, or any other questions.

Thank you,
Patrick

[1](http://producingoss.com/)
[2](https://github.com/profmasson/IINF.496-596.F2015/wiki/Course-Syllabus)
[3](https://opensource.org/)
[4](https://oeru.org/)
[5](
http://groups.oeru.org/groups/oss-production-course-team/files/f/zCuWxkrq6p1bP0VgyRUTN0bBdY1-bV9-2Ag6Atb/OERu-partner-list-April-2016.pdf
)

* Patrick Masson*
*General Manager & Director, Open Source Initiative*
855 El Camino Real, Ste 13A, #270
Palo Alto, CA 94301
United States
Office: (415) 857-5398