[TOS] TOS Mission Statement and G

TOS Owner owner.tos at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 22:57:08 UTC 2016

Dear TOS Community,

We are continuing to work on updating the TOS wiki. As part of this effort,
we are creating a mission statement and objectives for the site, something
that the previous version of the site lacked.

The proposed mission and objectives are at the end of this email. If you
have feedback on either, please either post to the list or respond directly
to owner.tos at gmail.com.  We would like all feedback by Monday November
14th.

The TOS Administrators
---------------------------
Mission:

To nurture a community of educators, students, FOSS communities, and other
partners to share best practices for teaching open source principles,
methods, and culture.

Objectives:

   -

   Prepare instructors to empower students to participate in open source
   projects and communities
   -

   Serve as a source for teaching materials, and a focus for community
   relations, and advocacy to support student involvement in open source
   -

   Communicate information about events and funding opportunities related
   to teaching open source
   -

   Advocate for use of best pedagogical practices and open source
   principles in education.
   -

   Increase the visibility of open source in education
   -

   Introduce students to humanitarian free and open source software (HFOSS)
   and the broader social benefits of the FOSS movement