[TOS] Student Opportunity: Mozilla-Sponsored Open Source Clubs

Hislop,Gregory hislopg at drexel.edu
Thu Apr 27 16:13:33 UTC 2017

Hello TOS community!

We're excited to share with you an opportunity to advance open source on your campus by way of a campus open source club.  We are working with Mozilla to support their effort to launch these clubs in the U.S. and Canada, and we think that many on the TOS list will be interested in this opportunity.  NOTE that the deadline for response to get students in the launch group is quite short!!

To be considered for the launch group, there is a need for you (or some faculty member at your institution) to nominate the student and for the student to provide some information about themselves.  There are online nomination forms for both the faculty and student parts.  See the details below.

Given your interest in teaching open source, we hope that some of you will respond to this opportunity.

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have questions.

Greg Hislop and Heidi Ellis
http://foss2serve.org

Mozilla is Recruiting for 20 Open Source Student Leaders

Mozilla is looking for 20 diverse and entrepreneurial student leaders who are passionate about the open source movement on their campus who would be interested in working with Mozilla over the next 9 months to guide and shape the US launch of a wildly impactful student open source program in September 2017.

Mozilla is creating an Open Source Student Club program dedicated to creating and supporting a network of clubs on university and colleges around the world who are learning about and contributing to open source projects and open web technologies.

While there are currently more than 180 active Clubs<https://campus.mozilla.community/connect/>, primarily in Asia, we are now ready to launch in the US, where our focus will be on empowering and connecting existing open source clubs by providing training, content and connection opportunities.

Note: while the primary focus of this launch will be the USA we will also be inviting Canadian universities and students to participate.

Commitment:
This is ultimately a 9 month commitment starting over the summer break, and ramping up to a year of creating and running a super impactful student club.

Students must be interested in starting or continuing to grow an existing open source club, on their campus, during the 2017-2018 school year and should have a track record of dedicating a large amount of extracurricular time to projects that inspire them.

We know that growing a great open source club is a huge commitment, with some students dedicating 10s of hours a week. So we've designed what we think will be a low time cost, high return engagement with our team to help these top student leaders succeed.

All times below are above and beyond what these student leaders will dedicate directly to their club activities.

Between May 1st-September 1st students must be able to dedicate at least 3-5 hours a week to:
*       Attending calls with staff + other leaders
*       Reviewing content (such as activities/websites)
*       Providing input/feedback (to documents, strategies etc.)
*       Creating content
*       Contributing to strategy discussions
*       Preparing their Club for success

Additionally students must be able to attend a weekend workshop (tentative date August 11-13th) that will bring students, professors, and open source experts together for an exciting weekend of learning, building, and creation.  (All expenses will be covered by Mozilla).

Between September 1st - May 1st students must be able to dedicate 2-3 hours a month to connecting with Mozilla and their fellow leaders, above and beyond building their clubs.
Who We're Looking For:

A range of students from diverse backgrounds, genders, ethnicities and regions.

Who...
*       will be enrolled in their sophomore (2nd) or junior year (3rd year) at a US or Canadian university in September 2017
*       have a track record of successful leadership on campus
*       have entrepreneurial capacity as a creative thinker and doer
*       are passionate about open source
*       are currently or are interested in developing and leading an open source club on their campus

We will be accepting 1 or 2 leaders per University/College, students may be nominated as individuals or in pairs.

If you are nominating a pair students they may include sophomore (2nd year) or senior (4th year) students.
For Students: Why Participate?

The opportunity to...

Lead and develop an international program with the potential to reach and change the lives of thousands of students around the world.

Lead an open source movement that is fighting to maintain a web that is free, open, and accessible to all.

Work closely, and develop relationships with amazing staff at Mozilla who will provide mentorship, guidance and support throughout the process. (Not to mention excellent references.)

Meet other amazing student leaders, academics, and professionals from around the country who share your passion for open source and learn with, and from, each other.

The nomination form is now open:
*       For Professors: mzl.la/2oq69FW<http://mzl.la/2oq69FW>
*       For Students: goo.gl/forms/Oz66x0rheMTSqZse2
This form will close at midnight (EST) on Friday, May 5th.