[TOS] [review request] Open Source Module Proposals

Emma Irwin emma.irwin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 19:08:35 UTC 2017

Hi Heidi,

Oh not to worry at all, It's definitely a challenge and I so appreciate
your time when you can!
I hope to start development on these around Sept 8th, and launch by the end
of September!   So really any time during September would be amazing, and I
will also be sure to share back as we go (if this is a good place to do
that?)

Thanks again!

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Heidi Ellis <heidi.ellis at wne.edu> wrote:

> Hi Emma,
>
> By what date do you need this?  Classes start on Monday and I've been just
> slammed for the past week and will be for the next 1.5 weeks.  I really
> like the work that you're doing and I'm frustrated that I haven't been able
> to get to it.
>
> Just wanted you to know that I'm paying attention, just trying to figure
> out how to get dug out from under!
> Heidi
>
> On 08/23/2017 01:57 PM, Emma Irwin wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> At Mozilla we are developing a series of learning modules for our Open
> Source Club technical students.   the goal is that these modules can be
> connected into a single course, but can stand alone in a toolkit format
> <https://toolkit.mozilla.org/>.  It's also a goal to leverage as many
> existing resources as possible - and I have been going through the TOS
> resources as part of that.  Leaning towards learning-by-doing/fun and
> sharing types of assessment.
>
> Before I begin development I wanted to reach out to see if any of you have
> feedback on the learning outcomes, have any content/learning
> resources/activities you would like to propose.  You can contribute via
> comments in these Github issues,
> <https://github.com/mozilla/open-innovation-curriculum/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22Open+Source+Clubs%22>
> which are also linked from this blog post
> <https://medium.com/@sunnydeveloper/i-need-your-open-source-brain-40086c46facc>
> - or you can also just add comments to this Google doc
> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xmY0ggHK7DqZKYJtFv_HnYPR-hVL2Vl9CZpGtT3s8aI/edit#>.
> Of course responding to this email also good - all the things! Basically,
> I would so appreciate learning more about your most successful/fun FOSS
> learning resources.
>
> Finally - I have a meta question (comments welcome in this issue
> <https://github.com/mozilla/open-innovation-curriculum/issues/26>), about
> providing real world value, to open educational resources like this.  How
> do we encourage technical students to fully invest in the learning
> opportunities presented in one, or a chain of modules ?  One person
> suggested hosted space, another upstream permissions to a repo, another
> membership in an organizations repo.  Interested in your experiences here
> as well
>
> Thanks so much for your time, if you have any to contribute
>
> --
> -- Emma Irwin

-- Emma Irwin