[TOS] Fw: Two requests regarding the new site

Shlomi Fish shlomif at shlomifish.org
Wed Dec 20 10:58:53 UTC 2017

Hi Gina,

thanks for your email, but please reply to all recipients. Replying there.

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 02:20:49 -0500
Gina Likins <glikins at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi Shlomi-
>

> Apologies for the belated response. I appreciate your passion about the
> teachingopensource.org site and we're glad that you are interested in
> supporting the community. Note that we have sent four emails about the
> migration of content from the old site to the new one, and your only
> request was to migrate the essay about how to get started in open source,
> which was migrated *and* has been translated into Spanish by
> another community member.
>
> We understand the request for a redirect, but this will be difficult given
> the migration to WordPress format which uses a different URL format.

The url is still editable and a web-server-level redirect is still possible.

> Never the less, there is g
> ood news
>  on the broken link front! ​
>

> I did a spot check
> ​,​
>  and ​by my count (though, of course, everyone's Google results are
> different)
> , there
>  seem to be
> ​25
>  links that point
> ​ to the page in question​:

You should not have gone to all this trouble. Anyway, I see that there is no
guarantee that if I link to the new URL, then in the future when tos.org
migrates from WordPress to a different CMS , then it won't be broken again. As
a result, the new canonical URL for that document is
http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/open-source/how-to-start-contributing/tos-document.html

which is hosted on my site that is generated using a static site generator (
https://davidwalsh.name/introduction-static-site-generators ) which gives me
very good control on the URLs and the content, and can ascertain back
compatibility. I hope I learned a lesson about hosting ongoing documents on
such CMSes as MediaWiki or WordPress because like what we say in Hebrew,
"whoever got burned in hot water, will be careful in mild water".

Sorry it has come to this.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

>    - ​3​
>     (the one
>    ​s​
>
>    ​from domains that end with
>     alexa dot com,
>    which I'm not linking for obvious reason
>    s) seem to be on a malware site.​
>
>    - 1 is on a site that offers "statistics" (again, probably not a
>    legitimate site),
>    - 13 are on
>    ​mailing list ​
>     archives (
>    ​thankfully,​
>     no one has the expectation that links in mailing list archives are
>    correct) and 1 is on an archived Reddit thread
>    - 1 is in a language I don't speak
>    - 1 is on Stewart Weiss's page on foss2serve (which I'm sure he'd be
>    glad to fix if you contacted him)
>    - 1 is
>    ​the link on the
>     old site (which will soon be removed entirely);
>    - ​and 2 are on wikis (​
>    1
>    that is yours, I think
>
>    ​and
>     1 on another
>    ​one)​
>
>    ​​
>     (https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Optimizing_Code_for_Speed/Introduction)
>    ,
>     but it looks like you have edit privledges for both of those and can
>    fix them think you can edit both of them
>
> That leaves 1 link on the goinggnu site (
>
> *https://goinggnu.wordpress.com/tag/fresher/
> <https://goinggnu.wordpress.com/tag/fresher/> ​) -- if you contact the site
> owner, he may be willing to ​change that for you.*
>
> Oh! More good news! It also looks like you established a bit.ly link that
> points to the old page (Short link: http://bit.ly/gkeXn5), so the easiest
> place to start might be editing that to point to the new URL:
> http://teachingopensource.org/start-contributing-using-open-source-software/
>

> Everyone's Google results are different, of course, and I may well have
> missed some links, but I think that this fix might be easier than it seems.
>
> Hope that helps!
>
> Thanks,
>
> gina

Perl Elems to Avoid - http://perl-begin.org/tutorials/bad-elements/

Alan: Hello, Miss Mandrake. I’m Alan. [she shakes his hand.]
John: John. [shakes his hand.]
Alan: We’re mighty vampires.
Selina: [Amusingly] Selina Mandrake, mighty pirate.