[TOS] Update on TOS site

TOS Owner owner.tos at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 18:19:18 UTC 2017

Hello TOS Community,

We wanted to update you on progress on the TeachingOpenSource site. First,
to show you the progress that we've made, here’s a screenshot of the new
home page – it will evolve and the content is not up-to-date (consider it
Lorem Ipsum  :-)  but we think it’s looking pretty nice.

Note that when we were choosing technology for the site redesign, we were
balancing three factors:

   -

   navigability and simplicity from the end user’s perspective (which
   requires organization, which usually means “control”),
   -

   low-barrier-to-entry from the potential contributor point of view (which
   wants fewer controls ;-) and
   -

   Ease-of-maintenance from our point of view.

We started by trying wiki technology, and have since settled on WordPress
as a platform due to its rich set of editorial and content features.

In addition to the backend change, we’ve also adopted much simpler
navigation.  We believe that the new nav will make it easier for
instructors to find out why and how they should incorporate open source
into their classes as well as to find the instructional materials to
support these efforts.

Though we haven’t migrated all the content yet, we also wanted to give you
a heads-up about the content clean-up we’re doing. Thanks to lots of hard
work by some student volunteers, we have a substantially reduced set of
much cleaner content that will be coming over to the new site.

We are still working some backend functionality issues and have a great
deal of content work to do, but the plan is to do a “soft launch,” in the
next month or two.

We'll keep you posted! TOS Admins