[TOS] GNOME Workshop materials

meg ford megford at gnome.org
Wed Jun 21 14:51:10 UTC 2017

Hi,

I agree that it doesn't make sense to re-invent the wheel. My plan is to
re-purpose resources from TOS (there are several resources that go over
installing Fedora in a VM, building GNOME software, etc) [0], Open Source
Comes to Campus [1], and the GNOME Newcomer guide [2] as much as possible.
In the past when I did Open Source Comes to Campus events they were one day
long. I am thinking it would be best to structure the lessons so they can
be taught in a workshop on one day, or be broken up and taught over several
days of a class. In the past it was difficult to teach GNOME in a workshop
setting because the setup was quite cumbersome. Recently this has become
easier because students can work with Builder [3].

Right now I am gathering information about how and with whom we can
partner. I am going to spend the remainder of this week looking through all
the information about the organizations I've been given in the threads here
(thanks to everyone again for your help!). Next Tuesday I'll present
everything to the Board and then I'll move forward with assembling
resources, contacting people who've responded here who are interested in
hosting an event/teaching GNOME at their school, etc.

Thanks again everyone!

Meg

[0] http://teachingopensource.org/for-instructors/teaching-materials/
[1] http://wiki.openhatch.org/Open_Source_Comes_to_Campus/Curriculum