[TOS] Teachingopensource (TOS) organization as an SFC member project

TOS Owner owner.tos at gmail.com
Tue May 23 13:49:11 UTC 2017

All -

As you know, we now have a new TOS web site functioning and we are
continuing to move materials into that site.  If you are interested in
teaching open source, and haven't established an account on the new site,
we encourage you to do so.

For some years, TOS has existed as a web site and a mailing list, but there
has never been an actual TOS organization.  That has limited advancing TOS,
and not provided any clear path to maintaining the site and list.  Several
of the people who have been active in re-establishing the site and who have
been administering the list have been exploring options to create an
organization to care for and promote TOS.  We concluded that the best
approach would be to make TOS be a member project of the Software Freedom
Conservancy (SFC).  This will help with the following things:

- Providing a bit of structure that will organize a group of individuals to
care for and promote the TOS site and list, and provide for orderly
transfer of that responsibility
- Providing an established non-profit entity that can manage funds for TOS
related activities

We decided that SFC would provide a good home for TOS for the following
reasons:

- The goals of TOS and SFC mesh nicely
- SFC is a well-established and well-respected group
- SFC can serve as a neutral platform for TOS which we hope will make it
easier for various interested corporations and educational institutions to
participate in TOS, while avoiding tensions over any one organization
"owning" TOS.

We have discussed our situation with SFC, and have preliminary approval to
become a member project.  We are starting the process of working on the
formal agreement to create TOS as a member project of SFC.

As we make those steps, we wanted to reach out to the TOS list subscribers
to invite comment.  If you have any thoughts about this plan, please reply
to the list.

Thank you!