[TOS] Recommended HFOSS communities?

Joel Sherrill joel.sherrill at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 01:42:07 UTC 2017

I'm one of the original RTEMS developers. It is a free real-time operating
system used in a lot of space and science applications. We (like OpenMRS)
have participated in both GSoC and Google Code-In multiple times. We try to
keep active project lists of multiple complexity levels. If we have a heads
up of skill range and quantity of students, we can be sure to have an
appropriate set of tasks/ideas reviewed and ready. Plus the community can
be aware of the expected students and be on point to be extra helpful.

Just to to know the expectations so we can see about meeting you halfway.

FWIW: The OpenMRS folks I have met are great. I don't know what issues
folks had working with them but approaching them with a heads up may also
improve the students' experience.

--joel
RTEMS