[TOS] Outreachy internships in FOSS

Sarah A Sharp saharabeara at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 21:15:52 UTC 2017

Greetings,

I'm Sarah Sharp, an organizer from Outreachy <https://www.outreachy.org>,
which is a three-month, paid, remote internship program to connect people
traditionally underrepresented in tech with mentors in free and open source
communities.

Outreachy internships are open internationally to women (cis and trans),
trans men, and genderqueer people. Internships are also open to residents
and nationals of the United States of any gender who are Black/African
American, Hispanic/Latin@, Native American/American Indian, Alaska Native,
Native Hawaiian, or Pacific Islander. You can see our full eligibility
rules at

https://www.outreachy.org/apply/eligibility/

Outreachy's application process is a little different from other internship
programs, because we require applicants to make a contribution to an open
source project during the six-week application period in order to be
accepted as an intern. We find the most successful applicants are ones that
make smaller, consistent contributions throughout the application period,
contact mentors, and ask the mentors and community questions when they get
stuck.

Applications for December 2017 to March 2018 internships are now open. The
deadline for applications and contributions is October 23, but potential
applicants should start working on their contributions 2-3 weeks before the
deadline.

https://www.outreachy.org/apply

The list of FOSS mentoring communities can be found at:

https://www.outreachy.org/apply/rounds/2017-december-march/

*Spread the Word*

We'd love it if professors who teach about open source could spread the
word about Outreachy to any students who may be graduating around December.
Since Outreachy is a full-time, 40-hour a week commitment, students in the
northern hemisphere are generally not eligible for the December 2017 to
March 2018 round. Applications for the May to August 2018 round will open
in February. Getting familiar with the application process and making a
contribution to an Outreachy open source mentoring community may be a good
way to build up students' skills to apply for the May to August round.

We have posters, sample email, and sample social network updates you can
use available at
https://www.outreachy.org/promote

If you're on Twitter, you could retweet these recent tweets from @outreachy:
https://twitter.com/outreachy/status/905897120015597568
https://twitter.com/outreachy/status/905897774868287490
https://twitter.com/outreachy/status/905898231162273792

*Virtual Outreachy promotion sessions*

I'm available over the next two weeks to host virtual sessions with larger
groups (e.g. open source groups that have a good diversity mix or
university classrooms with a diverse student population). I have a
presentation that takes approximately an hour, and covers: what open source
is, how to effectively get involved in FOSS communities, and how to apply
to Outreachy and Google Summer of Code.

If you would like to schedule a virtual session, please set up a meeting up
via
https://calendly.com/sarahsharp/outreachy-organizer-meeting

Thanks,
Sarah Sharp